The Australian Taxation Office has announced the following key dates to look out for in October 2023
- Pay annual PAYG instalment notice (Form N). Lodge only if you vary the instalment amount or use the rate method to calculate the instalment.
- Lodge and pay September 2023 monthly business activity statement.
- Lodge and pay quarter 1, 2023–24 activity statement if electing to receive and lodge by paper and not an active STP reporter. Pay quarter 1, 2023–24 instalment notice (form R, S, or T). Lodge the notice only if you vary the instalment amount.
- Make super guarantee contributions for quarter 1, 2023–24 to funds by this date.
- Lodge and pay annual activity statement for TFN withholding for closely held trusts where a trustee withheld amounts from payments to beneficiaries during the 2022–23 income year.
- Final date to add new clients to your client list to ensure their 2023 tax return is covered by the lodgment program.
- Lodge tax returns for all entities if one or more prior year returns were outstanding as at 30 June 2023.
- Lodge PAYG withholding from interest, dividend and royalty payments paid to non-residents – annual report (NAT 7187). This report advises amounts withheld from payments to foreign residents for:
- interest and unfranked dividend payments that are not reported on an Annual investment income report (AIIR)
- royalty payments.
- SMSFs in this category must lodge their complete Self-managed superannuation fund annual return by this date.
- Lodge and pay Self-managed superannuation fund annual return for (taxable and non-taxable) new registrant SMSF if we have advised the SMSF that the first-year return has a 31 October 2023 due date.